Sunday, April 7, 2013

Better Than Hamburger Helper

I really wanted Hamburger Helper, however all I had in the cabinet was Chicken Helper. Being pregnant and knowing what I wanted, that simply would not suffice. So- I attempted to make it myself, from scratch. I just kept tasting and adding until I thought I had it pretty right. I plated, handed it to Mike and asked what he thought. One bite in, "do you have any more?" "Yes, are you super hungry?" "No, this is effing amazing and you should have made more." "Thanks, is it better than Hamburger Helper?" "Absolutely." WOOT!


1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb pasta
1 tsp dried, minced onion
4 oz (1/3 of a small can) tomato paste (I use Hunt's 6oz can with basil, garlic and oregano)
1 1/2 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I had Kraft on hand)
1 1/2 c mozzarella cheese, shredded ( I had Sargento on hand)
1/3-1/2 c grated parmesan cheese (Kraft again)
1 1/2 c fat free half and half
1 c water
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp dried, ground mustard
1 pinch oregano

In a medium sauce pan, cook pasta as directed on box, drain and set aside. In a large skillet pan, brown meat with the dried onion, season if desired (I always season my ground beef with a little bit of Crazy Jane's Mixed Up Seasoning Salt, no matter what recipe I'm making). Drain and return to the pan. Over medium heat, mix in tomato paste, water, half and half, and cheeses. Add pasta, and remaining ingredients. Heat, stirring continuously until sauce is thickened. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Again, I didn't measure anything, of course, because I almost suspected that we'd be throwing it out. Next time I try this, I'll measure everything and take pictures.
WAIT! Here's a picture of the aftermath... :D

No comments: