Thursday, December 2, 2010

Texas Hash!

This dish sounded absolutely disgusting to me until I gave in and finally tried it. Mikey's mom used to make it all the time and he begged for over a year before I caved.

1 lb ground beef
3 lg onions, chopped
1 lg green pepper, chopped
1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes (I like to use Diced Tomatoes w/Mild Green Chilies, add 1/4 can extra water)
1/2 c uncooked reg. rice
2 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder, heaping
1/8 tsp pepper
Garnish however you'd like. I LOVE LOVE LOVE cilantro and cheese.

Cook and stir ground beef, onions and green pepper in 10 in skillet until beef is browned; drain. Stir in tomatoes (with liquid) and remaining ingredients.Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer; stirring occasionally until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed- about 30 minutes.

** For a family of 5, double all ingred. except ground beef. <3>

2 comments:

Cristeen Heise said...

Awesome dish, doubled the rice for my family and used cheddar cheese to top off.

B said...

Well thanks Cristeen! I'm so glad you liked it!